Friday, June 3, 2011

A Butterfly For You....with Copics and Distress Inks..

I have loved butterflies since I was a little girl. Any stamp set I see with them, I try to pick up. I am obsessed ;) Since I have all of these butterflies I had better get to inking them up. For this card I decided to try mixing distress inks with my Copics to color the image. I love how it turned out and I look forward to using this technique again.

"For You":

Supplies Used:
Card: Michaels
Stamps: Hero Arts; Ippity
Ink: Versamark (Tsukineko); Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko); Distress inks - Black Soot, Spiced Marmalade; Fired Brick (Ranger)
Pearls: Kaisercraft
Seam Binding: Hug Snug (died with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist)
Other: Pop Dots; Copic Multiliner .3; Copic Sketch Markers (YG04, YG07, YG09, Y00); Cut 'N Dry Nibs (Ranger)

First, I inked my image with Memento Ink in Tuxedo Black.


I used Cut N' Dry Nibs by Ranger to apply the distress ink to my butterfly.


I simply used the nib to pick up color directly from the ink pad.



I then applied the ink to the image in the desired spots. I used Spiced Marmalade and Fired Brick to add shading to the butterfly after coloring it with a Copic combo of YG04, YG07, YG09 and Y00. The mix of colors orange, yellow and red really brought the image to life. I love the intensity of this coloring technique.



Sorry the photo only shows me adding the Black Soot. I must have accidentally deleted the other photos I had. I thought I had backed them up, but, sadly, I did not :( In a way I am glad it happened this way because it reminded me that I needed to back up my photos :) Any suggestions for a good online storage site? I am looking to back up my back up ;)


Hope you have an amazing weekend!

8 comments:

Donna Hanley said...

Pryn, This is a beautiful card and thank you for sharing your techinique with us. Hope you are getting by as well as you can. Even though I have been super busy and have not got to visit blogs as often as I'd like to lately, I have not forgot about you. I have kept you in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Dana said...

Gorgeous Pryn! Great tips and the results are just out of this world.
xx

Clare said...

This is so gorgeous!! I always wondered how people colored images with distress inks, but never remembered to check it out - thanks so much for sharing! :)
As for a photo storage, I use Picasa web albums - so easy to use, and they have TONS of space. :)
I am soooooooo happy to see you back, Pryn!! I really did miss you!! Love ya!!!!!

Unknown said...

Pryn I love, love this card!! That butterfly is totally gorgeous! Thank you for the tutorial and I will be doing this real soon!!

Lynne Armstrong said...

Oh Pryn I LOVE this, it's gorgeous. The butterfly is so life-like...stunning effect. I've been avoiding buying distress inks lol but I might have to indulge in a few after seeing this. Great technique :)
Hugs xx

Mel said...

Pryn, this is really gorgeous. Thank you so much for the tutorial, I will definitely need to try this out. Luv Ya sweetie.

Tracey said...

This is stunning, that butterfly is amazing & thanks for showing the technique :)
Hugs
Tracey
x

Tina said...

This is a great card!Love how the colors pop! I so need to learn how to use Copics!and I have never used the pen nibs?